October 1, 2017

Learning Spanish

After getting lost in Costa Rica last year and not speaking any Spanish, I was bound and determined that would not happen again. Besides, I had wanted to learn Spanish as it is a beautiful language and we are but 60 miles from the Mexican border (not that that means there are people I can practice my Spanish with).

I did a bit of research after our vacation and decided on the Fluenz program. I loved it from the start as it immediately dealt with live situations: what to say in a restaurant, how to get around. I worked diligently for about a year, spending a couple of hours a day doing the lessons and the practises. I was encouraged by the fact that soon I was able to distinguish verbs from nouns in the Costa Rica paper (one of my initial goals).

Then, Fluenz decided to offer an immersion program in September in Antigua, Guatemala and I jumped at the chance. I would be able to practice speaking and get one on one instruction on those things I needed to improve on (verbs among others). I was pumped. I left for Antigua deciding my comfort zone would be awaiting my return.

View from the hotel roof terrace where breakfast was served daily.
It was a great experience: 5 hours of personal instruction, a great hotel with wonderful staff and delicious food, meeting a dozen other, younger, people from all walks of life, some of whom taught in prestigious institutions, and the founding Fluenz team.

My classroom.
My head awash in Spanish I had to think harder than I had in years and it felt wonderful to be challenged by people who nonetheless were patient. Other activities had also been planned: yoga sessions, massage, Antigua walking tour, talk by a Guatemalan UN Ambassador. A long week, with not enough sleep thanks to a head that would not turn off, but so very much worth it. And, my comfort zone had been waiting for me. The quiet life has returned.

1 comment:

webb said...

What a wonderful thing to do in retirement. I've been thinking about it for years, but never taken the first step. Now i am feeling lazy. Love the idea of studying a while and then immersing (sp?) yourself. (In fairness I have to admit that i majored in French and took Italian in college, but would now like to learn Spanish. It should not be all that difficult with two other romance languages that i used to know.)

Years ago we had three French bicyclists - who were visiting Virginia - stay with us for a few days. At first it was very difficult, but by the last day we were all speaking Franglish and not at all embarrassed with our difficulties. Am sure you were doing much better than that after your week. Kudos!!